Saturday, February 17, 2024

Fruits Of Impatience

                                              



Recently the truth of impatience hit me hard. I read in Matthew 12:34 “You brood of vipers! How can you speak good, when you are evil? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks?”  and this stopped me in my tracks! What is in my heart that is running over into my conversations? 


What’s In Your Heart?


It was barely 7:30 in the morning and I was already annoyed by the little things. I was Frustrated that I wasn’t getting responses to my texts, bothered that I had to stop what I was doing to help my husband. I was bugged by the noise in the hallway. I was full of impatience! 


But no! That’s not what’s in my heart, I protested. Jesus is in my heart. My husband and children have a place in my heart. My sister is securely loved in my heart. My brothers, my church family. I couldn’t go on… that morning impatience was in my heart and it provoked me to look more at  its provocative, selfish nature. To be too honest, impatience lurks close by, waiting to pounce at any situation and does many times. Ugh! I didn’t care too much for that examination. 


Impatience produces a lot of bad fruit. 


Fruits of impatience:


Self righteousness- It implies that “I would never do that” whatever shortcoming “that” is.

Selfishness-What I want or need matters most. Me first. No, I will not wait, I want it now! Get out of my way. Hurry up and move! It also breeds covetousness and contempt. (The blessing of delayed gratification is for another post.)

Deception-Impatience makes you think that if you don’t make an immediate decision- all is lost. It won’t wait for a “soft answer” Instead impatience fires off quick angry responses that deceive you into thinking “I took care of that problem.”  Making good choices takes thoughtful consideration which takes time. People that are in a hurry, usually have put themselves on that fast lane unnecessarily. I read a bumper sticker that said “Don’t put me in your hurry” Ouch! How many times have I gotten too close because I didn’t pay attention to the time and now I’m gonna be late! 

Insecurity- While I’m faced with impatience, this ugly imp creeps in. Nobody can help me. Everyone is against me and does anyone even love me? All because I have to wait.

Rage-anger is a God given feeling, “be angry and sin not” Or recognize the hurt or injustice done to you but deal with the consequences of the violation in a controlled manner. Rage is violent and damaging, many times with long lasting consequences or even life changing ones. 

Controlling: Impatient people want to control things. Bottom line. 

Evil Speaking- in frustration I'll rant and rave and say some pretty idle words

that I will regret when the impatience has passed. I don’t need to give examples,

those words do come out though.



Impatience is ugly, looking in the mirror called the Bible, I saw it lurking. I cried, I prayed asking God to give me dominion over impatience, over myself. Thank God for his patient love. Jesus loves me and so I pray with confidence knowing that his ways work the best so that I might enjoy the benefits of His kingdom here on earth. I also pray that the fruits of his Holy Spirit will abide in me.

.


 







No comments:

Post a Comment