Tuesday, November 21, 2023

How To Pray like Mrs. Zebedee

 



One day this grabbed my attention in Matthew 20:20-21 (NLT) 


Then the mother of James and John, the sons of Zebedee, came to Jesus with her sons. She knelt respectfully to ask a favor. “What is your request?” He asked. She replied, “In your kingdom, please let my two sons sit in places of honor next to you, one on your right and the other on your left.” 


What a mother! What an assertive believer she was. Such faith, such boldness, such confidence and such comfortable rapport she had with her Lord. That she would ask for such an outrageous thing! These things stand out about Mrs. Zebedee:

  1. She believed in the Master. She truly believed that one day she and her family would be in his kingdom. A simple faith. Jesus called her sons and they believed and she in turn believed also.

  2. Jesus, God,  was approachable. She reverenced him but she was confident that she could ask anything of him. 

  3. Her sons, James and John were not ashamed to seek their mothers' prayers. They knew she was bold and faithful to Jesus. They knew they could count on their mothers' prayers. This was especially dear to me.

  4. Jesus saw this audacious mom and listened to her petition and took the time to answer her prayer.

  5. She did not hold back, she did not think it too much to ask that her sons sit right next to Jesus one on each side of him. She wanted to make sure they would finish their race. She prayed. 



Sometimes when I’m praying for my three sons, and daughter, I pray for their relationship with Jesus. I pray that they stay saved and make heaven their eternal home. I pray for their success, in their jobs, relationships and in their ministry. I pray for their peace and joy and for all sorts of other details. Sometimes I hold back, thinking that maybe my prayers are selfish or extravagant. I know those thoughts are just the mocking accusations of Satan, he wants me to stop praying. Thankfully, I’ve learned to throw those dark thoughts out so that I can keep on praying and believing that God's promises are for me and my children too. 


Much, much more can be said about prayer, but right now, I’m focusing on this mothers prayer and faith for her children. This quick episode in the bible stirred my heart. It made me do a heart check and when that old serpent tries to lie to me that I’m “selfish for praying for my kids” I remember Mrs. Zebedee and her unflinching prayer.


Mark 11:24 I tell you, you can pray for anything and if you believe that you’ve received it, it will be yours (NLT)   

Matthew 7:7 Ask and it will be given to you, seek and you will find, know and the door will be opened to you.

This is exactly what Mrs. Zebedee did. She prayed and believed, then left the outcome in Gods hands.


No comments:

Post a Comment