Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Clingy Moments

                                                           

                                         

 A person who is overly attached or emotionally dependent on another person can be described as clingy.   


A Burden 

This has a negative feeling. Am I overly attached and clingy? Have I allowed someone else to overly attach themselves to me? Clinginess can be burdensome at times.



There are times when we are either clinging to someone or someone is clinging to us. A painful or difficult circumstance that brings the load of clinging. The groan is felt, "Help me, pull me, even carry me, just for a little while until I can see and navigate on my own.

Clingy People

Have you considered that "clingy" has a positive side? It makes you feel needed. It makes you take your eyes off yourself. Someone clinging to us might mean they found in us a trustworthy friend.  

I’ve experienced a clingy parent. When my mother reached out to me in my brand new independence, wanting to keep me close, it repelled me, I was busy growing up. I couldn't see her need for assurance that I was ok. I didn't see that she thought her job was ending. And, neither of us realized that I would need her continually.

I’ve experienced a clingy sister who demanded friendship and all I could give her at times was sisterhood. But, thankfully when we clung to each other, friendship was eventually forged.

I’ve experienced a clingy friend, who's in a new place, calling out and holding fast to her place in my life. Sometimes the hold was so tight that it hurt. Eventually, when she released her tight hold, I clung to her. It is the cycle of true friendship.

I’ve experienced a clingy child, who cries only for mama and will not be comforted by another. Then in a blink of an eye they grow up and move on, leaving your nest empty and you listen for those "growing up" cries for help.

My Clingy Moments

I've clung to my husband and he's carried the load, the wife of his youth.

I've clung my children, not willing to let go. when I let go, my arms were free to hold my grandchild.

I've clung tight to my mother as I helped her along.

I've clung to my sisters, their time here was done and they had to go. I still cling to their memory and the hope that I'll see them again.

I've clung to my strong dad insisting that he acknowledge and approve me.

I've clung to my elderly father while he clung to his dignity and let go of strength.

I've clung to my dreams, praying they will turn to reality.


There comes a season in life's cycle that a turn on either side will come. Whether you are the clingy or the one  being clung to, God will give us strength, if you choose to cling to his promise in Isaiah 40: 29-31

He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength. Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall: But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.



No comments:

Post a Comment