Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Mothers in The Bible




Bathsheba


The graphic events of the bible provoke such dramatic reactions from me. After the shock, anger and indignation has settled, I tend to wonder what in the world would I do if I was faced with these things, especially those things that happened to women and mothers. I’ve been reading and rereading my bible for a long time and I’m still moved by these true stories.  My pastor always says “every word in the bible is there for a reason” and so if God stops me or slows me down in these places, I need to pay close attention.

For example


Bathsheba in 2 Samuel 11-12: A quick synopsis. The daughter of a high official in King Davids government, she marries a dedicated military man, Uriah, one of David's mighty men. Bathsheba and Uriah do not have children.We don't know how long they were married before the king takes notice of her. King David decides to take her and sleep with her. She conceived! Then Uriah, her husband, is disposed of by the king. For a very short time she is a widow  because King David marries her. The baby is born, a son! Looks like everything is gonna be ok and they can go on together as a happy family and serve the living God. Then the baby is struck with sickness, her motherhood is tested, 7 days her son lies sick and dies. Then she conceives again!  In total David and Bathsheba had four sons, Solomon was the youngest and chosen as the next king. 

It seems like everything in Bathsheba's life happened so very quickly, like there was no time to process things. She’s embroiled in an extra marital affair with the king?! She finds out she’s pregnant?!!! A baby?! A long awaited baby, but he’s not her husband's child. She keeps everything quiet?! Her husband is killed in battle?! A pregnant widow?! Oh my goodness! A baby in her arms, a beautiful baby boy! Oh what love! I clearly remember the first time I laid eyes on my first born baby, my son, immediately I was inlove and attached to him.Then her baby dies, oh what sorrow. What confusion, what pain. All of this happened to her because King David made a decision after looking at her. He desired her and took her.  I truly hope I’m not sounding like a man hater, I’m not. I love and appreciate the blessing of the men in my life. This post is about reactions to the circumstances of life. (David, despite all his human frailty is considered a hero and mighty man of God. He was a man of faith in the one true God. Davids experiences with God, and Gods protection and parenting over him demonstrates God's incredible love, patience and mercy. It was not that David was good or bad, it was David's heart devotion and unshakable faith in God. Davids life and Psalms give me hope)

Back to Bathsheba. Incredible, how the cycle of life continues and we cannot get caught in the rolling wheel because of bitterness, regret, anger, sorrow and more-life goes on. How was Bathsheba's mind and heart? Only God could help her through all of this and he did. 


Later in 1 Kings 2: 19-23  Bathsheba's son Solomon became king after David. In this episode also,  things happen so quickly. Through selfishness, betrayal and narcissism Solomon's older brother Adonijah tries to take the kingdom. One moment Bathshebas life and her son's life is hanging in the balance, then suddenly her son is on the throne and she is mother of the king. Solomon is barely on the throne when Adonijah approaches his mother. Why did Bathsheba consider his request? She was wary of him. yet did she pity him? Did she think he cared for her son the King? What was the right response? He was her stepson after all, what would it look like to ignore him? Was it carelessness or fear that prompted this mother? Or was it that she knew her son the king would simply do what was needed with this request? 

Things That A Mother Must Remember:

Even in times of victory keep your guard up for the enemy who seeks to steal, kill and destroy you. Even in these moments of “glory”  a vigilant praying stance needs to be firmly practiced. 

Even when the leader, the man in charge is yQueeour son, he is still the one in charge. Be careful to respect the place of his leadership.


No comments:

Post a Comment